dglobalnews.com Moscow mules could be slowly poisoning you
Published: Thu, August 10, 2017
Medical | By Benjamin Edwards

Moscow mules could be slowly poisoning you

Moscow mules could be slowly poisoning you

According to an advisory bulletin published late last month from the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division, copper mugs may be poisoning drinkers.

"The goal of this bulletin is to advise licensees and permittees selling and serving alcoholic beverages in copper mugs of the applicable federal guidance and state regulations regarding the use of copper and copper alloys in contact with food and beverages", the statement reads.

You can spot a Moscow Mule cocktail from across the bar by its cheery copper mug, frosted with cold on the outside, filled with ginger beer, vodka and a wedge of lime. When the copper or copper alloys come into contact with food or liquid with a pH below 6, the copper can leach into it.

"The pH of a traditional Moscow Mule is well below 6.0", the bulletin reads.

Chelsea dealt blow as Inter Milan manager refuses Antonio Candreva sale
Inter sub Joao Mario should have made it 3-0 from Perisic's unselfish pass, but his low effort was saved by the boot of Courtois. It overshadowed what had otherwise been an impressive performance by Inter, and in particular Manchester United target Perisic.

Folks might not think about the pH level of their Moscow Mule or other beverages when serving drinks in fancy copper cups, but since the Moscow Mule has a pH level well below 6.0, the copper mug should be avoided. Besides posing health threats, using cookware made of reactive metals such as copper, aluminum, iron and steel are also known to have unwanted effect on the food.

If the copper mug is lined with another metal, it is safe.

Over time, Business Insider says that copper exposure can damage the liver and kidneys. The symptoms of copper poisoning include vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, or jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eyes).

Like this: