dglobalnews.com Israel says guard at Amman embassy shot after being attacked
Published: Sun, July 30, 2017
Global Media | By Cecelia Webb

Israel says guard at Amman embassy shot after being attacked

Israel says guard at Amman embassy shot after being attacked

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu pledged to de-escalate a diplomatic crisis with Jordan following yesterday's shooting at Israel's embassy in Amman, during which two Jordanian attackers were shot dead by an Israeli security guard.

Sunday's incident is among the most serious since Israel and Jordan signed a peace treaty in 1994, the BBC reported Monday. Jordanian authorities are refusing to let Israeli guard leave, keeping him confined to Israeli Embassy compound for further questioning, while Israel claims that the embassy worker has diplomatic immunity under the Vienna Convention. Jordanian government officials were not immediately available for comment.

Following the attack, the Israeli deputy ambassador remained in Cairo; 85 staff members and their families returned to Israel. The father of Jawawdeh described his son as a "martyr for Allah", in an interview with Jordanian news site al-Ghad.

In a statement posted on Facebook prior to the attack, the assailant said he was motivated by the Israeli government's recent restrictions on al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem, according to an Israeli military spokesman.

Local media report that one of the Jordanians, who allegedly worked for a furniture company engaged at the embassy compound, stabbed the Israeli citizen before the pair was shot dead by security.

Thousands of Jordanians demonstrated against Israel in Amman on Friday over the installation of metal detectors at the Temple Mount.

'New York Times' Demands Fox Apologize For Islamic State Segment
The president chimed in after the segment aired Saturday, tweeting that The Times has a "sick agenda" over national security. Fox, in a statement, said neither its initial report nor subsequent coverage on the air was inaccurate.

Israel installed metal detectors at entrances to the site after an attack nearby on July 14 that killed two of its policemen.

Another Jordanian, identified as the owner of the building, was injured in the gunfire and later succumbed to his wounds at the hospital.

The following year clashes between Palestinians and Israeli security forces around the site quickly led to unrest elsewhere in Jerusalem, across Israel and in the West Bank that have continued intermittently till now.

Jordanian state media reported that two Jordanians were killed in the incident, including the landlord, a local doctor who happened to be at the scene of the incident, and that the security guard was lightly wounded. Little news from Jordanian police.

King Abdullah II has frequently protested Israeli measures, including restrictions on the access of Muslim worshippers and police raids of the compound to disperse Palestinian stone-throwers.

Like this: