dglobalnews.com Police raid Manchester home believed to be linked to bomber
Published: Wed, May 24, 2017
Culture&Arts | By Orlando Mckenzie

Police raid Manchester home believed to be linked to bomber

Police raid Manchester home believed to be linked to bomber

Prime Minister Theresa May vowed "terrorists will not prevail", after the Islamic State jihadist group claimed responsibility for the attack at the conclusion of USA pop star Ariana Grande's concert late Monday at the Manchester Arena, one of Europe's largest indoor venues.

World leaders on Tuesday joined the chorus of shock and horror at the suicide bombing in Manchester which killed at least 22 people, including children. British media said he was born in the northwestern English city and that his Libyan parents had fled the regime of dictator Moamer Kadhafi. British Prime Minister Teresa May says authorities are treating the incident "as an appalling terrorist attack".

Forensic investigators search the property of Salmon Abedi in connection with the explosion that took place at the Manchester Arena. He was the second youngest of four children. Armed police also carried out a controlled explosion at the terraced house where Abedi lived in the Fallowfield area of south Manchester. They identified the suicide bomber as Salman Abedi, 23, a US law enforcement official told USA Today.

President Donald Trump slammed those responsible for the attack as "losers". It said she died of injuries from the attack and described her as "a lovely young student who was very popular with her peers and the staff".

Prime minister Theresa May said the threat level had been raised to "critical" from "severe", reaching that level for the first time since an attempted vehicle bombing on Glasgow airport in 2007. At least 59 people were also injured in the bombing. Police later said the blast killed 22 people, and over 50 people were injured.

The 22-year-old studied business at Salford University but dropped out before completing his degree. "People were saying it was a balloon popping or a speaker had just overriding and busting", said Sebastian Diaz, a 19-year-old at the concert.

Daesh, also known as the Islamic State group, has said one of its members carried out the attack, though a top US security official said that claim could not be verified.

Trump after Manchester: will call terrorists 'losers' from now on
Trump called on all countries to unite in the fight against terrorism and proclaimed: "This wicked ideology must be obliterated". While police believe the suspect was acting alone, investigations are ongoing to establish if he was part of a network.

The concert had drawn Ariana Grande fans from a wide area across Northern England and Scotland, NPR's Frank Langfitt reports.

"That was the scariest part because that's when you thought "I'm getting attacked and I'm actually in danger", Katrina said.

Following the attack, Grande tweeted: "Broken. from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don't have words". The Islamic State, or ISIS, claimed responsibility for the attack early Tuesday.

The train station, which is adjacent to the arena, was shut down for coming days, authorities said.

Blondie cancelled a Tuesday night concert in London "as a mark of respect for the victims of the awful attack" at the Manchester Arena.

Manchester, 160 miles (260 kilometres) northwest of London, was hit by a huge Irish Republican Army bomb in 1996 that levelled a swath of the city centre.

Like this: