dglobalnews.com 6 remain hospitalized from hotel carbon monoxide poisonings
Published: Mon, April 03, 2017
Medical | By Benjamin Edwards

6 remain hospitalized from hotel carbon monoxide poisonings


One person was found dead and 13 others were hospitalized after a group of people were found unconscious around a hotel's indoor pool in southern MI.

A police officer, a sheriff's deputy and two hotel employees were also taken to the hospital.

Six other patients - including the child who died - were taken to nearby Lakeland Hospital, said spokeswoman Megan Yore.

Bryan Douglas Watts, 13, was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital after the incident at the Quality Inn & Suites in Niles, southwestern MI.

Niles Fire Department Captain Don Wise says that was an extremely risky level and it would not have taken long for the boys to be overwhelmed.

Be proactive - Use the "Flag as Inappropriate" link at the upper right corner of each comment to let us know of abusive posts.

The other six children found unconscious at the Quality Inn & Suites hotel pool ranged from ages 12 to 14 years old.

South Carolina Women Beat Stanford 62-53 In Final Four
The Gamecocks took a 41-37 lead into the final period after scoring 21 points in the third, one more than the entire first half. Be proactive - Use the "Flag as Inappropriate" link at the upper right corner of each comment to let us know of abusive posts.

First responders rushed to a Quality Inn and Suites in Niles, Michigan, after children were found unconscious poolside due to carbon-monoxide poisoning. A seventh child was found unresponsive in a hotel room, police said.

There has been no information released about the severity of the condition of those people who were taken from the scene to hospital.

Investigators confirmed there was no carbon monoxide detector in the pool area.

Two responding officers were treated for carbon monoxide exposure and released from the hospital. She had just come from the pool area.

He said the carbon-monoxide reading was 800 parts per million, calling it "an extreme danger level". The entire hotel has since been evacuated. The maximum allowable by OSHA standards is 50 parts per million.

While the investigation is ongoing, the hotel has been closed for occupancy. "You'll wind up getting flu-like symptoms, vomit, then go unresponsive", he added, "but there isn't much time between getting nauseous and going fully unconscious".

Like this: