dglobalnews.com MA girl, 11, suffers burns after completing 'slime' project - WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT
Published: Thu, March 30, 2017
Medical | By Benjamin Edwards

MA girl, 11, suffers burns after completing 'slime' project - WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT

MA girl, 11, suffers burns after completing 'slime' project - WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT

A MA mother claims her 11-year-old daughter ended up with second and third-degree burns on her hands from an ingredient found in do-it-yourself slime, which has become a viral sensation thanks to countless YouTube tutorials.

Quinn's daughter, Kathleen, is recovering from burns on her hands that her mother says were caused by borax, an ingredient in numerous popular recipes for do-it-yourself slime.

Kathleen's family took her to the hospital where they learned she had second and third-degree burns on her hands as a result from prolonged exposure to the slime.

"I've had other mothers say, 'Oh, we've made it a million times, it's fine, nothing happened to my child, '" she told WCVB.

She told her parents, who noticed her skin was starting to turn bright red and starting to bubble. Thankfully, though, she is expected to make a full recovery.

"I woke up in the middle of the night and my hands were just all wet and they were sticking together and they were blistered, " Kathleen said on TODAY.

Defense Secretary Seeks Deeper US Involvement in Yemen War
Riyadh recently floated the idea of the United Nations taking control of the port, something the worldwide body has ruled out. In 2012, Saleh was forced to transfer executive power to his vice president, Abdo Monsuer Hadi.

A little girl burns her hands while making homemade slime.

Kathleen isn't the only child to suffer injuries from the slime, though.

"I feel bad", Siobhan told the news outlet.

YouTube also has multiple videos on making slime without the use of Borax.

Homemade slime is a do-it-yourself trend that once again became popular this year, thanks to social media. It left blisters on her hands. But it turns out that one of slime's key ingredients, borax, can have various negative effects on our health, despite the lack of warnings on the container. Doctors, however, have warned parents that Borax can be toxic if it's not safely diluted, which may have been the case with Quinn.

Gomez said if your kids do play with the slime, keep a close eye on their skin for any reactions - and to be totally safe, opt for the store bought version. But no one should have to suffer through third degree burns for a batch of homemade slime.

Like this: