dglobalnews.com Roman Polanski wants to return to US
Published: Sun, February 19, 2017
Culture&Arts | By Orlando Mckenzie

Roman Polanski wants to return to US

Roman Polanski wants to return to US

Last week (ends10Feb17), Braun filed a motion in Los Angeles County Superior Court to unseal a secret transcript of testimony of prosecutors allegedly agreeing to the plea deal, and a hearing has now been set for 24 February (17).

It is Polanski's latest bid to bring an end to case that has been hanging over him for almost 40 years.

It says his case can not be resolved until Polanski, who has both French and Polish citizenship and lives mostly in Paris, returns to California to face justice. Judge Rittenband, apparently, then decided that Polanski should serve a 50-year sentence instead, at which point Polanski fled the country.

The director has alleged that he was mistreated by a judge and prosecutors, but subsequent judges have ruled the Oscar victor must return to Los Angeles for the case to be resolved.

Mr Gunson gave the testimony over three days in 2010 in case he was unable to testify at any future proceedings in the case.

Polanski will not attend, Mr Braun said.

Roman Polanski wants to return to US

In December, Poland's supreme court denied the United States' request to extradite Polanski, upholding a lower court's decision.

In 1977, Los Angeles director Roman Polanski was convicted of raping a 13-year old girl at a Hollywood party and has been on the run ever since but may soon return to the USA for the first time in four decades.

However, in early 1978, a day before sentencing, he fled the United States to avoid what he feared would be serious prison time. The judge for the case later claimed he never signed off on the deal.

However, lawyers for the Polish-born director said the judge later reneged on the agreement and suggested Polanski would go back to prison. That's when Polanski fled the US for Europe.

The filmmaker was accused of drugging Samantha Gailey before raping her at a friend's house in Los Angeles in 1977.

The multi-awarded director is known for films such as "The Pianist" and "Chinatown".

Cubs make offer to Travis Wood
First reported by Jon Heyman from MLB Network , who tweeted: "Wood gets 2-year deal". Pitcher Brian Flynn was placed on the 60-day disabled list with a back injury.

Like this: